Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Election

Well, fortunately, it's just two days now and all the waiting is over. I have been reading and posting on a forum, www.carypolitics.org. It's very interesting, because the site is run and mostly populated by extreme right wingers, and that is something that I am not. There's one guy on there who really seems to have lost it, but it's kinda fun to beat him up in arguments. I'm just a little worried that I'm going to get a package of white powder in the mail one of these days if I push him too far.
One of their biggest anti-Clinton issues is that they say he gave missle technology to the Chinese. When the latest news about the current administration having had put up a web site with information about how to build a nuclear bomb, and then taking it down because it had too detailed information on it, I posted that and asked them where their outrage was now.
They pointed out that it was Iraqi documents and tried to clain that this justified Bush's war of aggression because here was proof of WMDs. So, an aly and I had to fight that for a while, and finaly ended up pointing out that these documents were from before the first Gulf war when Iraq did have a WMD program, and proved absolutely nothing.
Now I can finaly get them back to the original question of where is their outrage at the Bush administration for posting detailed instructions that probably helped North Korea perfect their nuclear technology.

There's probably not much point to these debates, but I'd like to think that if I could get just one of these people to think a little more clearly, and a little more logically and see the lies and hypocrisy that we've been given for the last 6 years, I'll have made the world a better place.

Of course, I get my own gains too. Once you have a goal of trying to prove something to others, you do a lot more research, and find out things that you didn't know.
For instance, I ended up in the position of having to defend Kerry's mis-statement. I did research and did find that about 5% of the enlisted in the army had a college degree or greater. About 30% of the overall population has a college degree or greater. Almost 100% of the officers have a college degree or greater. In the army overall, but 19% have college degrees or greater.
Now, I have only the highest respect for the military, and am very glad they are working to defend the country. Also, there are many smart people in the military, and the officers are exceptionaly well educated. The enlisted aren't quite as well educated as the rest of the populace though.
However, what my opponents should have argued, is that most of the enlisted are 'college aged' people, who may have entered the military rather than going to college. And, after 4 years in the military, with the special training that they constantly recieve, maybe they are more educated than your average college graduate.
In any case, it's a moot point, because that's not what Kerry was trying to say, as anyone who listens to his speech would know. This is just another smoke screen to try to turn us away from the real issues.

I'n 2 days, we will see.

6 Comments:

Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

I'll just be glad when the election is over. I've been online, reading the ballots and all that so i'm well informed... and now I have a headache. Tomorrow I will go cast my vote and be done with it, anxiously awaiting the voting outcome. Why must they make voting so stressful?

2:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

I'm worried about the election and like Sheila, will be glad when it's over. Kerry should be touting the fact that he WAS in a war instead of sprouting off with dumb comments. As the Sopranos say, always with the mouth!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

I've been watching a lot of Bill Maher lately, and last night he really drove home the fact that, no matter what Kerry said, Bush had no right whatsoever to attack him because, UNLIKE BUSH, Kerry actually SERVED in the military. God, I can't wait until that clown's out of office.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Cross your fingers and hope this democracy works. Too late for a parliamentary system, I suppose.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Well, all my greatest hopes have been realized in this election! We have won!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my husband with the genius IQ enlisted instead of going to college, because his family was POOR.

Viable choice my ass.

But I love how the election went!

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home