Tuesday, October 17, 2006

New book

I've just started reading "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris. I'm just in the first chapter, but so far this has been a fairly shocking book. It's a very though provoking and erudite dialog about religion in the world today. I highly recommend that everyone read this, just based on what I've read already.
I'm really looking forward to getting his latest book, "Letter to a Christian Nation," which has great reviews in the paper, and on Amazon.

Has anyone read much of Sam Harris?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,
I have that book, 'The End of Faith' and I agree that it's very thought-provoking. I got half-way through and found myself getting very angry, so I've put it down for awhile. I come from a 'born-again Christian' background (lots of preachers and hypocrisy in my family) and this book fueled my judgment against them, which I'm trying to forgive. They're doing the best they know how to do with the knowledge they have, and the way I see it, no one changes until they're ready to see things differently, so it feels like a lesson in futility for me. I'm interested in what you have to say as you get further into it; maybe I'll even go back and read more of it soon, myself. Thanks for posting! --Robin

3:50 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I've read it! It's great!

People need what they need to get them through. The bottom line is that they can't face the idea that there might be nothing after, that they may never see their loved ones again, that they may not get those 72 virgins. Pick your poison.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read it, but now you mention it, I can see it on a bookshelf out of the corner of my eye! Hmm, maybe I should have a look...
Helen x

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home